Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Unexpected Gift

Uncle Chris and (soon-to-be) Aunt Stephanie asked Shelby and Wyatt to be in their wedding this summer by sending them personalized pencil cases full of goodies including a ring pop (important fact for later). 

Unfortunately I should have told them that my kids don't really love surprise gifts all that much. I think it's pretty obvious here that Shelby is only putting on a good show to make everyone feel better.


Even Wyatt managed a weak smile over stickers. He tried to pretend he liked them by promptly covering the house, himself, and his younger brother in them, but I saw through his charade.

Yep. An entire family eligible for an Oscar pretending they are thrilled OUT OF THEIR MINDS by the unexpected package in the mail. (The funny part here is that Walker has no clue what he is holding yet is still smiling like it's Christmas)

After some of the initial excitement died down, I thought to whip out the camera since it seems like the last time I filmed might have been when Shelby started walking. 

What I ended up filming made me cry.

My husband teased me about re-watching this video so many times, but I think all the other mothers out there will see why I have come to treasure this unexpected moment with one of my children. Sometimes as moms we seem to constantly be pouring into our kids with no immediately visible fruit to show for it. Yet, here I was given a moment where I could see that they are listening, and thinking, and remembering beyond their next snack or tv show.

Yes, an unscripted moment.

An unexpected gift.

(*Important background: we packed ring pops in our Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes for the orphans)


No comments:

Post a Comment