Friday, September 13, 2013

Katy Rodeo Night

Katy Rodeo Night. What a fun night with the family.

What could possibly go wrong?

It all began well. Kids dug up their city slicker hats, and I put the most rugged outfit I could find on our 18 month old (which was a turtleneck with a Moose in a tent. Yes, I realize this was a sad attempt at "country" but have I mentioned that I've really let go here people?). Then we went to McDonalds where Shelby got a Barbie Happy Meal toy.

The joy trajectory shot up after that one.

And then, the fatal error.

We decided to go pet the animals BEFORE buying our tickets. La de da let's take our time and teach the kids the pig names (Blue Butt was the favorite breed. Shocker.). Then...

 A DISASTER OF EPIC PROPORTIONS

(sweet innocent family totally unaware of their fate)

SOLD OUT!

Our kids stood there looking a little confused. Like this was some sort of joke b/c they all had their gear on. Think quick mom! Let's go to the carnival kids!

We walked all the way over only to realize (dum dum duuummmmm) it was a cash only operation and all I had was a credit card. 

So there our kids stood. No rodeo. Staring at all the flashing lights with hints of funnel cake and cotton candy tickling their noses. 

The joy trajectory has completely bottomed out and begins to slide into dangerous territory.

And here is where I reach my finest (or lowest depending on how you view it) moment. Before they are completely unreachable at the bottom of the child angst spiral, I make them an offer.

Hey, kids how about I go buy you something at Target?

Moaning stops.

Joy trajectory ceases it's downward slide.

I begin to paint a picture of the wide, glistening aisles full of innumerable goodies from which they may choose.

Twenty minutes later we are headed home with a Fancy Nancy book and a Ninja Turtle T-Phone.

Not exactly the night I had envisioned but all was well in the end. Lesson learned for next year.


Wyatt the next day:"This horse is as tough as a nut."

No comments:

Post a Comment