Saturday, November 7, 2009

Food Glorious Food

I have been wanting to blog some of my favorite cookbooks and recipes since I started (all of a month ago). Some of yall (as in my five readers:) may not be cooks, but I PROMISE these babies will NOT let you down!

Chicken Enchiladas

Not hard or tricky but oh so good. You can freeze uncooked enchiladas and cook later BUT don't add sauce or toppings.

* 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
* 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
* 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas (get the good ones from HEB tortilla maker place)
* Vegetable cooking spray
* 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
* 1 (8-ounce) bottle green taco sauce (get whatever heat level you want & the better the green sauce, the tastier your enchilada sauce)
* Toppings: diced tomato, chopped avocado, chopped green onions, sliced ripe olives, chopped cilantro (only put on if you aren't feeling lazy)

Preparation

Stir together first 5 ingredients. Spoon chicken mixture evenly over each tortilla, and roll up. Arrange in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Coat tortillas with vegetable cooking spray.

Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.

Stir together sour cream and taco sauce. Spoon over hot enchiladas, and sprinkle with toppings.



**This comes from one of my all time fav cookbooks: Southern Living Our Reader's Top-Rated Recipes

**all these recipes can be found at Southernliving.com

also try:

-Hearty Potato Soup (sans bread bowl)-healthy!
-Chicken Fajita Pizza
-Chili-Rubbed Salmon
-Smoked Gouda Grits
-Chicken Pot Pie (cut waaaay back b/c it makes a TON)
-Hearty Tex-Mex Squash-Chicken Casserole
-Cheesy Shrimp and Grits Casserole (freezes great)
-Healthy White Spaghetti and Meatballs -more work but better for you
-Sweet Beer Bread-make me NOW!!! Oh BABY this is good warm!!!! and sooo easy!
-Garlic-Parmesan Pork Chops-quick prep time
-Peppery Chicken Fried Chicken-need I say more
-Grilled Salmon with Mustard Molasses Glaze
-Crunchy Cabbage Slaw
-Green Bean Salad w/ Feta
-Marinated Green Beans with Tomatoes, Olives and Feta (I left out olive-personal pref.)
-Two Cheese Squash Casserole
-Best Carrot Sheet Cake (my dad loooooves)
-Fudgy Chocolate Malt-Peppermint Pie (can only be made at X-mas b/c of Peppermint Ice Cream)
-Giant Spice Oatmeal Cookies -trust me!!! I'm not an oatmeal cookie fan but really good!
-Brownie Trifle -feeds a TON
-Old fashioned Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce (I went to Spec's pregnant with a toddler in tow to get Bourbon...classy!)
-Mocha Ice Cream-won the ice cream contest at church!

ENJOY & go make your husband fall in love again!

2 comments:

  1. So I have a question...does fat free sour cream cook the same as regular? Hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the posts coming. I may try some of these out and impress all my single friends...the kind that think cooking at home consists of putting lunch meat on bread.

    MORE POSTS! MORE POSTS!

    ReplyDelete