Monday, February 21, 2011

And Mother of the Year Goes To...

So let me set the scene-

It had been a crazy day. Seth and I decided somewhat last minute to go out to my parents' place in Millican on Friday night instead of just driving up Saturday. Well, every mother knows that overnight trips involving children and spontaneous decisions DO NOT GO WELL TOGETHER! I was doing some very last minute shopping for Wyatt's birthday on Saturday (not that he knows or cares that much), but, still, you like to set a precedent for the future. Anyhoo, blah blah I was busy all morning and when the kids woke up I had to run a cake into town and tried a last ditch shopping trip to Target near our house. I hadn't packed ANY clothes yet. Why? you ask. Well, because about two hours earlier all my children's clothing was dirty. Moving on. At least Wyatt's present had been purchased and the clothes were all clean albeit in a pile on our dining room table. While I am checking out of Target (with Shelby in HEAVY negotiations for the candy oh-so-convenienty at her eye level), Seth calls and I realize he is about to get off work. I CAN DO THIS!

*pause for breathing*

So I have set the frantic scene so that you might excuse my slight lapse later. I whip into the driveway unbuckle Wyatt (not needed w/ BIG girl Shelby "I CAN DO IT MYSELF!"). I run inside and change a suspicious smelling diaper and begin to frantically search for socks, underwear, pacifiers, blankets, pjs, etc. ALL of which are not in the same place. The whole time I am tearing from room to room I hear an occasional honk of my car horn.

I'll deal with Shelby's new little discovery as soon as I can find Wyatt's other sock!

In the meantime, hubby pulls in the drive and begins to load the dogs up in the bed of his truck. However, something is amiss. On one of his trips into the garage he hears a very muffled "Daddy!".

Strange he thinks. And begins to look around.

(muffled)"Daddy! I'm stuck in the car!"

A somewhat distraught Shelby was retrieved from Mommy's car where APPARENTLY she can work the seat belt but not the door latch.

Ah well, at least it wasn't as traumatic as the time I locked her in the car at HEB. Now there's a story...

1 comment: