Saturday, February 26, 2011

I Remember...

I think remembering these moments with our children are so temporary and fleeting only makes them that much more precious (& sometimes more endurable but let's focus on the positive).

For instance, I will choose to wax nostalgic someday about how my little girl loves to curl up in my lap & NOT remember the tantrum when cuddle time was over.

I will choose to remember the over-excited two year old tearing out the door, boots in hand, to go w/ Daddy to Lowe's & I will NOT remember the giant booger I had to extract before he was deemed fit for public.

I will choose to remember how excited the kids were to eat by the fire pit last night & NOT remember the tears as the dog ate not one, not two, but three of Wyatt's tortillas. Shelby has learned to defend her food much more effectively over the years.

I will choose to remember the pride of watching my son drive his tractor all the way to the park & NOT remember the eerie feeling of every child slow and zombie-like gather around the new toy like right before a feeding frenzy.

I will remember my daughter's white-blonde curls erratically bouncing behind her as she whips by on her princess bike, ringing her bell & NOT remember her whipping through a stop sign w/ me shouting at her and the ensuing yelling and tears.

I will remember when Shelby learned to pump her legs on the swing. I will remember when Wyatt learned to reach over and turn on his light and fan...at 1:00 am. I will remember how Shelby felt it her duty to report back to me every school day on who was bad, what they did, and their just punishment received. I will remember how Wyatt accidentally whacked my rear with his broom & then gave it a kiss and pat. I will remember how they both loved to jump on Daddy & I's bed. I will remember how offended Wyatt was getting his 2 year old shots and Shelby's fascination with the whole process. I will remember how my daughter wanted to wear only dress pj's preferably with a princess. I will remember the heavy, limp form of my sleeping son as I removed him from his car seat after a late lunch with Daddy.

Just like the pangs of labor so quickly erased from our memories, I'll forget the tears, and the time-outs, and the constant repetition, and the "no you cannot wear that out," and the worry over developmental milestones, and the second guessing my choices.

I'll remember the sweet voices of my young children playing in the backyard on a beautiful spring day, choosing to treasure and remember the moment amidst the chaos of life.

2 comments:

  1. Tears remembering the joys of my children. Thanks for reminding us of what is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so precious! You should write a book. How we need to cherish each moment!!

    ReplyDelete