Sunday, October 11, 2009

Half Full Coffee Mugs?


Perhaps the half drunk coffee mugs scattered over my house can now serve a purpose other than to embarrass me if someone comes over.

What purpose does cold, congealed coffee in a nondescript mug possess?
you ask. (Don't act like you're not the one asking because I can feel your daggers of judgment across cyberspace.)

It simply serves as a highly accurate metaphor of my current life. No longer can I get through a peaceful cup of coffee nor do I have the brain cells left after two births to remember to go back and get the cup in question and put it in the sink. Oh, there it will sit-next to the computer, on the bathroom sink, in front of the coffee maker-as a silent beacon. How I long to return to you sweet java and drink your energy giving nectar. How I wish I had the time to drink my coffee.

But, in all the chaos that I call life, I recognize that time is eluding me even now. Soon potty training accidents will be funny stories of a time long ago. Permanent teeth will take the place of each hard-fought-for baby tooth. My children will no longer drool on me or require my help to bathe. They will know which shoe goes on which foot. Soon, the only hair and teeth I will have to brush will be my own.

So I will see the mug as half full.

A mute testament encapsulating this unique time in my life. Time that will be gone soon enough

...Unlike the last half of my coffee.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog by pressing the next blog button, and thought I would let you know that I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete