Friday, February 22, 2013

Halloween 2013


So Texas weather is always a little unpredictable this time of year. Will it be warm or freezing cold? (If you are placing money on a bet I would go with warm). This, of course,  greatly complicates the annual "Halloween Costume Selection Process." I definitely recall shaking with cold some years refusing to sully my costume with a coat. I also remember dripping sweat in a giant pink bunny costume. That to say, it's a bit of a crap shoot around here.

Since Wyatt is really into 1978's version of "Super Friends," our whole family (minus Walker who originally was not going to have a costume at all) got dipped in the mutagen, touched by Kryptonite, visited by a dying alien, take your pick, I think you get the picture. The most complicated part of their costumes was 

A) keeping Wyatt/Superman's boots on (he got VERY upset when they slipped off. Which they did. Frequently.) 

B) finding an appropriate Wonder Woman outfit since Shelby was left with very few super hero women to emulate (i.e. one). Can I just pause here and say that it is so obvious that a man created Wonder Woman? I mean, every woman knows how constricting a spangled bustier would be in the fight against crime! She has to have super powers to be able to breathe in that thing. The only compensation I see is that the supermen look like they are wearing their underwear outside their spandex outfits. 

While searching for her costume, I was really coming up dry. I was shooting for a 5 year old dressed as Wonder Woman not a mini-street walker. Etsy to save the day! I knew I could count on some crafty mom out there to help me out! Shelby was very pleased by the amount of sequins in her outfit. Kid and mommy approved!
Poor little lamb...errr...lion. All the extra padding threw off his balance so he ended up wandering around like a drunken sailor until he finally gave up and just sat. He also might have been attempting to avoid passing out from heat exhaustion. When I took off his lion outfit to eat, his head looked like someone had poured a bucket of water over it. A large bucket. Uhh...sorry buddy. He was a great sport though.

A courageous attempt at smiling while being suffocated by his lion costume.

We eat danger for breakfast! And we are STARVING!

We will stun you with our preciousness rays!


Sweet neighborhood kiddos getting together beforehand for pizza.

I have to say as I let got of "perfection" parenting, I am really starting to enjoy my kids' childhood so much more. Embracing the joy and excitement that things like Halloween bring. Creating a count down. Letting Shelby use up all my tape and computer paper to create and hang her fall artwork. Pretending to be upset when my kids secretly try on their costumes before the big day. Watching them wade through and sort their mother load of candy. 

The unfettered joy of childhood. Bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment